Tuesday, March 31, 2009

On The Things I Learn



Nyssa, myself, and some friends, have tried over the past year to “do” community & gospel living. We were going to hold a handful of cool (kingdom of God style) events and meet regularly in between. We have ended up with a one-off service event, a few great ideas which didn't happen, and a few brunches and meetings.

It was an interesting experiment, and in the end I have two conclusions.
A. Even though I often consider this to be over-hyped, there is probably something to be said for actually living together.
B. Graduate student people are transient/fragmented; Improvisation makes for funny skits, and may find some resonance in faith life. But I bet it helps to be a planned and mature doer of God's work.

On the other hand, it was a great experience as we did not have a lot riding on our experiment, and in the end I would think we are better friends/people because of it.

These days I like this verse:

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

-C.D.Clements

No comments: